2021 DELINQUENT TAX PROPERTY FORECLOSURE TIMELINE
ON MARCH 1, 2022
2021 taxes are turned in delinquent to Wexford County Treasurer
By June 1, 2022 Taxpayer is notified of delinquency through 1st class mail
By September 1, 2022 Taxpayer received 2nd notice of delinquency through 1st class mail
On October 1, 2022 Additional $15.00 fee added for each delinquent parcel
By February 1, 2023 Taxpayer (and other parties as specified by township treasurer information) receives 3rd notice of delinquency through certified mail
On March 1, 2023
$175.00 fee is added to parcel and property is forfeited to the Wexford County Treasurer. Interest rate on unpaid balance is now 1.5% per month including 3/1/22 to 3/1/23 (retro) plus all recording fees and all fees for service of process.
BETWEEN MAY 1, 2023 AND JANUARY 2024
- Title searches conducted to identify parties with legal interest in the property. (May-July)
- Petition seeking foreclosure of forfeited property filed with Circuit Court. (Before June 15th)
- Personal visit to forfeited property with personal service or posting of property. (June-Sept)
- 4th notice of delinquency to all recorded legal interested parties via certified mail (Dec-Jan)
- All delinquent property with all recorded legal interested parties published in Cadillac News two (2) consecutive weeks in January BETWEEN FEBRUARY 2024 AND APRIL 1, 2024 Showcause hearing held in Circuit Court for property owners/recorded lien holders – Friday, February 16th, 2024, 9:00 am.
Foreclosure judgement held in Circuit Court and judgment entered in Register of Deeds-Friday, February 23, 2024, 9:00 am.
THE LAST DAY TO PAY THE 2020 TAXES IS MONDAY, APRIL 1, 2024