Sally Randall
Friend of the Court

Sandra Huttenga
Assistant Friend of the Court
(231) 779-9494, ext. 2002

Referee Benjamin Hicok

Dave Swanson
(231) 779-9494, ext. 2005




Cadillac-Wexford  Airport Authority
Length of term: 2 years

Raymond Hill (expires 12/31/20)
Bill King (expires 12/31/21)
Bill Paul (expires 12/31/21)
David Mackey (expires 12/31/20)

Joeseph Barron-City Appointee (expires 10/15/20)
Karl Holder-City Appointee (expires 8/21/21)
Fred Osborn-City Appointee (expires 2/22/21)

Cadillac-Wexford Public Library Board
Length of term: 5 years

Sandra Bengelink (expires 12/31/22)
Lee Jones (expires 12/31/24)
Linda Kimbel (expires 12/31/23)
Vicki Long (expires 12/31/20)
Brian Valice (expires 12/31/21)

Cadillac-Wexford Transit Authority
Length of term: 2 years

Larry Copley (expires 12/31/20)
Rosanne Denny (expires 12/31/21)
Mark Howie (expires 12/31/20)
Eleanor Sosenko (expires 12/31/21)

Michael Hayes-City Appointee (expires 6/5/20)

Construction Board of Appeals
Length of term: 3 years

Paul Keller (expires 10/31/22)
Scott Kleinsorge (expires 10/31/20)
Stephen Perry (expires 10/31/22)
Mark Richardson (expires 10/31/21)
Randy Williams (expires 10/31/21)

Department of Health & Human Services
Length of term: 3 years

Bob Colvin (expires 12/31/22)
Roger Hopkins (expires 12/31/20)

Yvonne Hebert-State Appointee (expires 2021)

Northern Lakes Community Mental Health Services Board
Length of term: 3 years

Rosanne Denny (expires 3/31/20)
Ben Townsend (expires 3/31/21)

Networks Northwest-Workforce Development Board
Length of term: 3 years

Ken Bollman (expires 12/31/22)
Leslie Nowlin (expires 12/31/21)

Wexford County Road Commission
Length of term: 6 years

Harold Falan (expires 12/31/24)
Lorne Haase (expires 12/31/20)
Harry Hagstrom (expires 12/31/22)
Dean Jurik (expires 12/31/25)
Jim Leggett (expires 12/31/21)

Veterans' Services Committee
Length of term: 4 years

Jack Baughan (expires 12/31/21)
Susan Marcum (expires 12/31/23)
Joe Porterfield (expires 12/31/22)
Gary Taylor (expires 12/31/20)

Wexford Missaukee Community Corrections Advisory Board
Length of term: 2 years
All terms expire 12/31/21

Trent Taylor, Wexford Sheriff
Will Yancer, Missaukee Sheriff
William Fagerman, Circuit Court Judge
Adam Ottjepka, Chief of City Police Rep.
Audrey Van Alst, District Court Judge
Melissa Ransom, Probate Court Judge
Julie Theobald, Wexford Commissioner
Dean Smallegan, Missaukee Commissioner
Jason Elmore, Wexford PA
David DenHouten, Missaukee PA
Charles Kennard, Wexford Circuit Court Probation Agent
Laura O'Dell, Missaukee Circuit Court. Probation Agent
Kristie Hatinger, Dist. Court Probation
Johanna Carey, Wexford County Criminal Defense Attorney
Brian Hoffman, Missaukee County Criminal Defense Attorney
John Mellish, Rep. of Business Community
William Barnett, Rep. of Media Communications
Vacant, Rep. of General Public
Cassandra Bugai, Rep. of Substance Abuse

Motions, Appointments, & Hearings


Sandra Huttenga, Assistant Friend of the Court
(231) 779-9494, ext. 2002

A party may file a motion to change the custody, parenting-time, or the child support of their court order, if the party can show proper cause or a change in circumstances. The FOC office has printed forms and instructions for filing this type of motion. While parties do have the option of hiring an attorney to assist with their motion, parties can file motions without the help of an attorney. Even in situations where the parties have agreed to a change, the current order remains in effect until a motion is filed, a mediation appointment or hearing is conducted, the judge signs the new order, and it is filed with the Wexford County Clerk or the Missaukee County Clerk.

When a custody, parenting time, or child support motion is filed with this office, it is scheduled by Assistant Friend of the Court Sandra Huttenga for either a mediation appointment or a hearing. Mrs. Huttenga is also the ADA coordinator for this office–If any parties require special assistance (ex., an interpreter, a sign language interpreter, etc.) to attend the hearing, contact Sandra Huttenga at (231) 779-9494, ext. 2002 to make those arrangements before the time of your appointment or hearing.



Sally Randall, Friend of the Court
Dave Swanson, mediator
(231) 779-9494, ext. 2005

Parties involved in a domestic relations case are encouraged to participate in a mediation appointment, which may allow them to settle a case without further court involvement.  Mediation appointments allow parties the opportunity to settle their issues regarding custody and parenting time with the assistance of a mediator. Parties often find this rewarding because they make the decisions, instead of the court. If the parties wish to do so, the mediator can put their agreement into the form of a court order.

Agreements reached in mediation appointments are voluntary–if a party does not wish to make an agreement regarding custody or parenting time, they are not required to. However, if the parties reach an agreement during an appointment, the mediator can put that agreement into the form of a court order. The parties may review their agreement with their attorneys, if they wish to do so. If no agreement is reached, the matter will then be scheduled for a Referee hearing.

Mediation appointments are a mandatory part of the S.M.I.L.E. Program at the beginning of divorce and custody cases.  They are also scheduled after a final order has been entered in a case.  

FOC mediators who are employed in a professional capacity must report suspected child abuse and/or neglect. Also FOC mediators who suspect domestic violence must report it to the proper authorities. All other matters discussed during a mediation appointment are confidential.

For more information about how the Friend of the Court conducts mediation appointments in accordance to Michigan Court Rule (MCR) 3.224, you are welcome to view the Friend of the Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Plan here.



Referee Benjamin Hicok

At this office, hearings are presided over by a referee. A referee is not a judge, but performs some tasks on behalf of the judges who preside over the case–Judge Van Alst in Wexford County, Judge Ransom in Missaukee County.

The referee is appointed to hear testimony and arguments on any issue in a domestic relations case except spousal support (alimony)–that can only be heard by a judge. A hearing is conducted and evidence is presented according to the Michigan Rules of Evidence–parties have the option of filing subpoenas if they feel it necessary. When completed, the referee makes a decision in the form of a referee’s recommended order. A referee’s recommended order only recommends a resolution to the judge. A recommended order must be submitted to the court and served on the attorneys or unrepresented parties. Proof of service must be filed with the court.

A referee’s recommendation will become a court order if no parties file an objection within 21 days after the recommendation is delivered. If a party wishes to object to the referee’s recommendation, they must file an Objection to Referee Recommended Order and request for a hearing with this office within that 21 day period. The Friend of the Court office will then schedule a hearing before either Judge Van Alst or Judge Ransom (depending on which county the case is under) and the Judge will make a decision upholding or changing the referee’s recommendation. Parties are welcome to consult an attorney for more information on how to object to a referee’s recommendation and how to request a hearing before a judge. Some FOC offices will provide written instructions that explain how to file an objection.


In some cases, the court may make the referee’s recommended order effective temporarily—until the 21 day time to object to the order expires or until the judge hears an objection at a new hearing.